SHRM ANNUAL CONFERENCE & EXPO
The SHRM Foundation will be awarding eight scholarships to attend the SHRM Annual Conference & Exposition in New Orleans, LA, June 18-21, 2017.
- One to a professional member in each of SHRM’s five domestic regions
-One scholarship to a professional who has done significant paid and/or volunteer work on hiring, retaining and engaging military veterans or mature workers age 50+ (primary areas of focus for the SHRM Foundation in 2017)
-One scholarship to a SHRM student member
-One Northwest Human Resource Management Association scholarship to a student member from Washington, Oregon or Alaska
These awards enable HR professionals and students who have been unable to experience this event-due to a lack of financial support- to have the opportunity to attend. The scholarships are targeted to those least likely to receive support from their organizations. Each award, valued at nearly $2,500, will include: Complimentary
Each award, valued at nearly $2,500, will include:
- Complimentary full-conference registration*
- Up to four-night hotel stay in New Orleans**
- $500 travel stipend
*Pre-conference sessions, seminars and guest registration not included.
**Housing will be provided at a conference hotel of SHRM’s choice.
- Apply February 15 – March 15, 2017
- Notified of Results April 13, 2017
- All applicants will be notified of results via e-mail.
Who is Eligible To be eligible for an award, applicants must be ONE of the following:
- Employed full or part-time by:
- A for-profit organization with fewer than 250 employees
- A non-profit organization
- The state, local, tribal or federal government, or military
- Unemployed and/or a full-time student
- In addition, all applicants must:
- Have a current SHRM membership as of March 15, 2017
- Not receive any organizational support or reimbursement to attend the conference
- Not have attended the SHRM Annual Conference & Exposition in the past five years (prior to 2012).
Who is NOT Eligible:
- Individuals who meet any of the following criteria will not be considered for this award:
- Attended the Annual Conference & Exposition within the past five years.
- Already registered to attend the 2017 Annual Conference & Exposition.
- Employed in a for-profit organization of more than 250 employees. (Not including government or military.)
- Non-SHRM members.
- Members of local SHRM chapters who are not SHRM members.
- Expectations of Scholarship Recipients
If selected for an award, applicants must confirm their ability to attend the 2017 event and provide their tax ID number. Winners will be expected to maintain a current SHRM membership throughout 2017. They must be willing to sign a release form so they can be featured in conference promotions, possibly including– but not limited to–live appearances on stage, press and video interviews, and ‘meet and greet’ sessions with sponsors and Board members. Scholarship winners will be expected to provide a follow-up interview to SHRM and/or the SHRM Foundation after the event to discuss their experiences and to share what they have learned. Application Requirements To apply for this award, please complete the online application form. (No paper forms will be accepted.) This includes: Contact & demographic information Three short essay questions about your career and learning objectives Your resume A statement of support from your supervisor, professor, or colleague*- Statement of Support.
To apply for this award, please complete the online application form. (No paper forms will be accepted.) This includes: Contact & demographic information Three short essay questions about your career and learning objectives Your resume A statement of support from your supervisor, professor, or colleague*- Statement of Support.
This includes: Contact & demographic information, Three short essay questions about your career and learning objectives, Your resume, A statement of support from your supervisor, professor, or colleague*
* This statement may be completed by a work colleague, current or former supervisor, professor, volunteer colleague or other professional contact. Statements from family members of the applicant will not be accepted. Please upload your completed statement as part of your online application.
We are confident that there will be many deserving candidates for these awards. The review committee will be selecting individuals with financial need whom they believe are most likely to leverage this learning opportunity. They will seek candidates who are eager to learn and who plan to apply the skills and knowledge gained to benefit their careers, their organizations and their communities. New HR professionals are encouraged to apply.
2016 Scholarship Recipients
Jessica Collins, California, Veteran Scholarship
Melissa Pillias, Guam, Student Scholarship
Regional Scholarships: Katherine Szarkowski-Boder, SHRM-CP, North Central
Betsy Ferronato, Southeast
Juley Bocardo-Homan, SHRM-CP, PHR, Southwest
Jessica Mangona, Pacific West
Jamie Robinson, Northeast
2015 Scholarship Recipients
Jonathan DeArmond, North Central
Ronda Gress Wakefield, Pacific West
Cindy King, Northeast
Edna Lugo, Southwest Central
Jatisha Marsh, Southeast